Thursday, February 9, 2012

P/T Conferences


*sigh* Youngest's didn't go so well. Matter of fact, I got so pissed at one teacher, I finished with another and stomped off straight to the counselors office. All to do with bullies.

There are a couple of boys that bully Youngest. He told me about it last semester. I told him did you tell a teacher? Not yet. I told him he needs to. He did and he went through the process. But, I was so rabid today I totally forgot that he had talked to the principal about it.

I've told him all the ways to deal with bullies. Walk away. Ignore. Use humor. Stand up and defend yourself.

Apparently none of the above was working so well. This particular teacher told me that Youngest and the other boy were sent to the counselors office because Youngest was bullying.  "They were bullying each other." Didn't even ask youngest who started it. I turned to Youngest and asked him was it 'quotation marks with hands' (because we call them Fat Boys so I know who he's talking about). He nodded. I told the teacher I knew about these kids and that they were a problem for Youngest. "Well, did he tell a teacher? We have a process to deal with that." I was getting mad. I couldn't remember.  I told the teacher that I had given Jon permission to stand up for himself because he's old enough now that he should know right from wrong. "Well, we're not talking about the other boy right now. We're talking about your son."

Yeah, PeeWee, I get it. What the fuck do you want me to say? "I want to talk about the social and behavioral issues we're having." Yeah, you mean the ones you guys are creating by not communicating with the parents or each other. The one created by the lack of communication between staff freaking members! Or the ones making my kid not even want to try to do well in school because he hates it so much?

Yeah, obviously there are some issues we have to deal with to boost this poor kids self esteem. But there are obvious communication issues this school needs to deal with.

I went straight to the counselors office. My poor kid was in tears because of that clod hopper. But I was so rabid I couldn't think straight and communicate well myself.  All I got there was excuse after excuse. I left abruptly. Not handled well on all sides, I'd say.

I was mad enough that once I got home I called to see if I could get him transferred to another school. The lady there was at least able to get me to settle down a little and talk more sense.

Seriously, if my child has a problem with behavior in class, then yeah, it needs to be dealt with. Getting blind sided at a parent teacher conference with other parents and teachers in the room was enough to make me see red. It was degrading, classless, crude and embarrassing. To make excuse after excuse when I'm just steaming freaking mad didn't help at all. Do you seriously think a raging parent is thinking about what happened six months ago? I could barely put two sentences together.

Don't know what's going to happen now. I just seriously know I don't want him going back there.


No comments:

Post a Comment