Friday, June 10, 2011

Comfort Zones

One reason I enjoyed moving from such a small town to a much larger one is I can take myself out of my life. Now, I know it's hard to believe, but I sometimes get sick of myself. I take this as a sign that I need to go do something new. See a new horizon, new neighborhood or heck, even a new grocery store. I need to explore.

In a town of under 6000 people it was hard to find something new to explore after ten years. Two grocery stores, maybe five restaurants, hard to keep track because they kept closing due to retirements, two parks designated North and South. It was hard to find something around town that would take me out of myself for a bit. I wanted hills too. There were no hills. I could see one end of town from the other. Total dullness.

We moved. 24,000 more people. A newer part of town, an older part of town and some hills to hike. Parks with biking and walking trails, interesting horizons, more restaurants than I can remember and stores to explore. Even the library got an update  and is something to explore.  When I get sick of the same old, same old I can step out of the dull and find something different.

We went to a new to us Chinese restaurant looking for a good Crab Rangoon. We had never been there before, didn't know what they offered or what the best time to go there would be. We were the only two in there. The employees seemed like they were annoyed at us or with each other, still haven't figured which way. I can't tell you what they were saying because they weren't speaking English. Their body language was tired, hurried and nary a smile crossed an employee's face. Hell, for all I know they were annoyed at something minor that had nothing to do with business.  I wondered if a plate was about to fly across the kitchen. The atmosphere began to make us distinctly uncomfortable. We had found a step outside our comfort zone which in it's own way was thrilling. Almost an uncomfortable thrill. I had stepped outside my zone for awhile. I didn't think I'd need to do that for awhile yet.

On the upside,  I can recommend their Crab Rangoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment